Day Mechanical Technician
£25,000 - £30,000
Riverview Recruitment are delighted to partner with The University of Surrey in supporting their recruitment of maintenance professionals. It is among the leading Universities in the UK with around 16,800 students and an annual contribution of £1.7bn to the national economy. Located in the heart of Guildford on the beautiful Stag Hill campus.
The Maintenance Services department have evolved their systems to deliver a modern, efficient and excellent maintenance service for staff, students and visitors in this most dynamic and attractive location. You will be part of a growing maintenance team of 12 engineers, responsible for looking after commercial mechanical maintenance requirements within; accommodation, academic services, health centres, laboratories and research centres. There is also a leading sports park with a 50m athletic swimming pool and medical centres.
The grounds, atmosphere and surroundings make this a truly exceptional place to work rewarding all employees with a supportive, rewarding and enjoyable place of work.
Your new role
As the Day Mechanical Technician in the Estates Maintenance Team, you will be responsible for completing the programme of planned, preventative maintenance to comply with statutory testing regimes, maintenance schedules and refurbishment of mechanical, plumbing and heating systems across the campus.
Also, you will be responsible for completing reactive and emergency response maintenance activities for the mechanical and plumbing system failures. Typical work would include; pipe work refurbishment / replacement, blocked drains, isolation work, leak fault-finding and minor plumbing.
You will be required to take part in an out of hour’s standby rota (1 in 6) for response to mechanical/plumbing emergencies.
Hours of work are 36 hours per week, (8am – 4.12pm) with a 1-hour lunch break, over a 5-day week (Monday to Friday).
What you'll need to succeed
- City & Guilds in Plumbing/Mechanical services or equivalent.
- Ideally at least two years practical experience in a similar commercial maintenance role.
- Experience of working in an environment with varied plant and needs.
- Good timekeeping and attention to detail.
- Ideally hold a valid Driving Licence
What you will get in return
- £26,715 annual salary + standby + call-out + overtime payments
- Standby allowance of £100 per week and generous call out rates of 3 hours minimum pay
- Incredibly generous University Pension with up to 12% employer contribution.
- 32 Days Holiday plus bank holidays.
- Annual salary review
- 36 hour working week
- Opportunity to progress to supervisory roles with full support on training.
- Onsite parking
Job Reference :