Mechanical Filter & Fire Damper Technician
£26,715 + Standy + Callout
Your new company
Riverview Recruitment are delighted to partner with The University of Surrey in supporting their recruitment of maintenance professionals. It is among the leading Universities in the UK with around 16,800 students and an annual contribution of £1.7bn to the national economy. Located in the heart of Guildford on the beautiful Stag Hill campus.
The Maintenance Services department have evolved their systems to deliver a modern, efficient and excellent maintenance service for staff, students and visitors in this most dynamic and attractive location. You will be part of a growing maintenance team of 12 engineers, responsible for looking after filter and fire damper maintenance requirements within; accommodation, academic services, health centres, laboratories and research centres. There is also a leading sports park with a 50m athletic swimming pool and medical centres.
Your new role
As the Mechanical filter and fire damper technician you will be responsible for undertaking planned and reactive work on mechanical, air handling plant and fire dampers, to support the University’s infrastructure and environmental control systems across all of our premises, ensuring that they are maintained in a safe, efficient and functional order and tested in accordance with legislation
1. Maintain all fire dampers, including statutory inspection and testing where required to current legislative requirements and University process and procedures. (Across the University’s estate there are approximately 1500 fire dampers.
2. Carryout planned maintenance to air handling units, filters and drive belts. Changing filters and belts as required and in accordance with the PPM schedule, ensuring adequate stock of filters and drive belts are maintained at all times.
3. Maintain all air filtration plant and associated equipment including but not limited to louvers, heating/cooling batteries, fan belts and dampers.)
4. Ensure failing plant or assets are reported to the Helpdesk and plant areas are maintained in good condition.
5. Deliver an effective response to maintenance demands from the University.
6. Ensure compliance with all University H&S and Environmental systems and procedures and take an active part in the development of any policy.
7. Carry out multi-skilled tasks where relevant training/experience can be demonstrated such as (but not restricted to) assisting mechanical and electrical technicians with larger more complex work, carry out minor carpentry and redecoration repairs linked to maintenance work.
8. Complete all necessary administrative work associated with departmental management systems, including the completion of work records (paper or electronic), timesheets, stores issues, orders, estimates and health and safety records. Utilise Building Logbook to record all maintenance visits and any relevant defective information and repairs.
What you'll need to succeed
· City & Guilds in Mechanical (HVAC) installation, fault finding and maintenance.
· Previous experience working in the commercial/industrial sector in mechanical maintenance.
· Minimum basic understanding of fire systems design and industry regulations.
· Ideally at least two years practical experience as a Mechanical engineer, specialising in fire damper maintenance.
· Experience of mechanical maintenance issues, AHU’s, diagnosis and COSHH regulations.
· Good timekeeping and attention to detail.
· Must be able to drive and hold a current full EU license.
What you will get in return
· Incredibly generous University Pension with up to 18% employer contribution.
· 40 Days Holiday
· Onsite parking
· Discount membership for Surrey Sports Park
· Discounted onsite Nursery
· Yearly Health Surveillance
· On call – Averaging £1,200 per year plus 3 hours per call
· Tools and Uniform
· Training in relevant areas
Job Reference :